Monday, March 14

The Early Lush Demos :: 1988, '89

Pretend that you just happened to lay your hands on a copy of the original demo tapes from Lush. Actually you don't have to, because it's provided to you right here and now, free for the taking. You can d/l all of the demo tracks (found on another blog) here: The Early Lush Demos :: 1998, '99 - The dates as listed on the bootleg for the demos obviously are incorrect. This should be dated '1988,'89'.

Note! This bootleg includes a track attributed simply as "Emma Vocals" (demo II). Emma emphatically refutes that the vocals are her's in a comment made on the YouTube video, and states that this is not a Lush song. Listen to the track yourself, "Emma Vocals" sounds oddly out of place compared to the other tracks. I don't believe this is a demo by Lush at all.

Album: Early Demos
Release: Unreleased
Label: N/A

TRACKLIST
Demo I
(recorded between March-October 1988 w/ Meriel Barham, Emma, Miki, Steve and Chris)

1. Grotesque (band's title is "Female Hybrid" see the March 1 post )
2. Truth Or Fiction
3. Skin
4. Sunbathing

After they cut the above four-song demo, Meriel left the band to join the Pale Saints.

Demo II
(first two tracks likely recorded in early 1989, w/ Miki, Emma, Steve and Chris)


1. Etheriel
2. Second Site (Second Sight)
[3. Emma Vocals] (according to Emma herself, this is NOT Emma singing and should not be considered as a recording made by Lush!)

Lush sent this second demo tape off to 4AD, One Little Indian, Rough Trade and Mute, before heading off on a mini-tour with House Of Love in May 1989.



9 comments:

  1. Frankly I'm disappointed but I can't help thinking that Emmas has just forgotten she sang it. I don't agree her singing is that out of place (remember it's a really old demo) and it sounds as every bit of an early Lush song if you ask me. But I may be wrong of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a while after all, which makes reconstructing history all the more difficult. I have to admit I was disappointed too, to find that it wasn't Emma singing.

    Can't be disappointed about the other demo tracks that have survived though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi - I can absolutley 100% guarantee that the Emma Vocals track is NOT Emma singing and it is not a Lush song. Cheers, Miki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't get any more authorative on the subject than that... Thanks Miki!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can anyone repost the demos? I have some copies, but the quality is somewhat poor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah, John me too, I ask you if anyone can reupload it. looking fwd to hearing it soon .
    If someone would exchange I own the words and music tape...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would love to hear these, listening to the box set now. So glad I got to see them play Boston on the reunion tour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. PLEASE release some of this live material! I mean the Black Sessions, the Radcliffe session, etc. etc.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Meriel left the band to join the Pale Saints"

    She was actualy kicked out. Later, Miki helped her joining the Pale Saints (by the time of their 2nd album). -according Fingers Crossed, Miki's bio book.

    ReplyDelete